At this point in the January Whole30 process, we have surpassed the milestone of more than one week of wellness, which is an impressive feat! Are you beginning to feel the self-healing power in your body? Are you seeing signs that your sparkle might be shimmering in a new, brighter way? I hope so. For some people, days 10-11 of Whole30 can be difficult days. It may feel like day 30 is a lifetime away. Trust me when I say that you are not alone in your feelings of “Can I really keep this up for 20 more days?!”. For the record, yes you can. You are worth it.
Right now is the perfect opportunity to reflect on how you are feeling about the shifts you have made and the time you have put in to honor your needs, and consider what has changed so far. If you haven’t started your list of non-scale victories (NSVs), now is the time, dear one. It is also wonderful timing to dream about how you may treat yourself in this process.
As a culture, treating ourselves can often fall into the categories of food (“I so deserve this red velvet cupcake”) or spending money (“The only way I can show myself that I am worthy is getting a manicure, a massage, or a new pair of running shoes”). During your Whole30, investing in experiences that will support your wellness (like a massage) is wonderful, but please know that this is not the only way you can celebrate your hard work.
One of my personal January Whole30 goals this year is to add more pleasure to my Whole30 process. Treating myself in new ways (that do not break the bank) is exactly what Whole30-ing with pleasure and sparkle is all about. Whole30 is a reset that is focused on changing our health, habits, and relationship with food. This means that yes, we can eat protein/healthy fat/plants every meal, but if we are not changing the stories we are telling ourselves and celebrating ourselves in news ways throughout the process, it may be very easy to slide into old behaviors at the end of this experiment.
So, my challenge for you: dream about really indulgent ways to add more pleasure and sparkle to your life for the remainder of your Whole30. And of course, once you dream up a list, get to it! Every single day of our lives can include more magic and sparkle.
A few ideas to add more pleasure to your Whole30 (and life, in general!):
- Start your day playing music that makes you want to shake it! Bonus points for dancing around while you are getting ready for the day, brushing your teeth, making breakfast, and drinking coffee. This can be a very pleasurable mood booster!
- Get dressed with your inner unicorn in mind. As you begin to feel your body adjust to your new habits, dress in a way that makes you feel most magical. Not only will this boost your confidence through the roof, it also gives your brain a new opportunity to explore creativity. No new clothes required.
- Massage your body with oil (my current favorite is SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Bath, Body, and Massage Oil). Admiring our physical form throughout this process supports our relationship with the image we see in the mirror. Bonus points: repeat affirmations and statements of gratitude during your massage!
- Take a bubble or epsom salt bath! Bonus points for taking a few meditative moments, envisioning the water absorbing and clearing away any stress or tension you may be holding, while focusing on your breath. Added bonus: all that stress and tension can go right down the drain with the water post bath!
- Schedule time for yourself in a new way. Block out an hour (or a few) with the intention to do anything your heart desires during that time. Don’t try to pre-plan what you think will feel good. Wait until you are in the moment of the schedule and check in with yourself. What will feel good in that moment? Do it.
- Give yourself an official break from electronics, social media, and all the things that can trigger us to feel less than, anxious, or distracted.
- Plan for a movie date with yourself (and perhaps a pet or lucky loved one!). Cozy up on your couch in your most comfortable attire, watch an old favorite or a new film from your must watch list. The most important piece of this: RELAX.
Showing yourself extra love, attention, and celebration is so important throughout Whole30, and throughout life. We all can very easily get caught up in our busy schedules, to do lists, and distractions. Taking time to get present with what we want, honoring the messages our bodies are communicating, and celebrating all our hard work is a recipe for pleasure and sparkle.
Whether you are completing a Whole30 or not this January, I hope you will join me in adding as much pleasure and sparkle to your days as possible. We are all worthy of enjoying every damn moment possible in this life.
Let’s Sparkle Together.
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Translation: if you use the links for any of the Amazon listings, we may benefit from it, so thanks!