For the vast majority of my life, I spent time worrying about my body in a negative way. I worried that I was too large, too heavy, my clothing size too big. When I thought about food, I fell into the trap of focusing on calories, WW points, and the question of what can I eat that won’t make me take up more space (i.e. that won’t make me fatter)?
In the process to untap my sparkle, I experienced a side effect. My thoughts began to shift in a new, empowering way. As my enthusiasm for digestion grew, I learned more. As I learned more, my mindset started to focus not on taking up less space, losing weight, or becoming less, but rather eating foods that satisfied me, tasted good, and most of all: MADE MY GUT HAPPY.
While I probably assign my gut a lot more human opinions and emotions than most, there is something truly exhilarating in the idea that I can make choices that will make my gut feel good (and my brain… and my hormones… you get the idea). While I love to explore new recipes and foods, sometimes I just want something truly simple, delicious, and satisfying. Bonus points when I can do so without thinking too hard and can just create something with whatever happens to be in my fridge!
Enter: The Digestion Enthusiast’s Roasted Vegetable Recipe
As a general rule of thumb for myself, I believe in filling my plate with as many vegetables as possible. I always want to trigger the satiety sensors in my gut with a delicious, nutrient dense meal. This recipe is the ultimate in simple.
- Step 1: Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
- Step 2: Cut up any vegetables that bring you and your gut joy
- Ex: bell peppers (all the colors!), onion, potato (all the colors!), cauliflower, squash, kale, onion, carrots, brussel sprouts, etc.
- Step 3: Toss cut up vegetables in olive oil and garlic salt (or any other spices you love).
- Step 4: Spread out vegetables on baking sheet (I usually put foil on it, but you do you).
- Step 5: Take beautiful, colorful photo for your Instagram (I mean, let's be honest, you know you want to. Eating the rainbow is gorgeous! Tag with #UntapYourSparkle so I can check out your rainbows).
- Step 6: Place in oven.
- Step 7: Cook for 30-35 minutes at 425 degrees. Check on them after 20-25 minutes, just in case your oven is an overachiever.
- Step 8: Enjoy this delicious meal and know that your gut is gonna be STOKED by this satisfying, nutritious meal.
Pro-tip: While you will be tempted to eat the entire pan (trust me), know that you can reheat in the oven the same way and the vegetables taste just as wonderful (if not even better due to extra crisping!).
Making your gut happy is a major player in the process to untap your sparkle. It does not require fancy meals every day, or even expert skills in the kitchen (ahem… trust). Focusing on joy and feeding your gut (and the beautiful bacteria that live there) with nutrient-dense, satisfying foods can totally be easy. MAKE THAT GUT HAPPY!